Howard University accepts academic courses from regionally accredited colleges and universities as transfer credits. For a new student entering Howard University, and upon receipt of the student’s official transcript(s), transfer credits will be evaluated by using the following criteria.
- Transfer courses must be of comparable content, academic level, and scope to the curricular offerings at Howard University.
- Credit hour(s) assignment to transfer courses will be semester credit hours. If the originating institution is other than the semester system, the appropriate conversion of credit hour (s) will take place by the Office of Enrollment Management.
- Students must have earned a grade of “C” or higher in academic courses in order for the courses to be transferred to Howard University.
- For transfer course credits that are discipline specific, the Office of Enrollment Management will request a review and assignment of the transfer credits by the specific discipline
- The maximum of 60 credit hours from an accredited institution can be transferred. (Note: Howard University requires that the last 30 credit hours for an undergraduate degree be taken at Howard University).
- Credit hours are transferable to Howard University, not grades. Therefore, grades for academic courses transferred will not be included in the overall GPA of a student.
- All transcripts from international institutions must be evaluated by World Educational Services (WES).
Credit by Advanced Placement (AP)Examination:
- New students entering Howard University may receive course credit for academic courses completed in secondary schools under the Advanced Placement Program administered by the College Board.
- AP score must be sent directly from the College Board to the Office of the Enrollment Management.
- AP credit hours are awarded by Howard University according to Exam Credit Advanced Placement Chart (https://www2.howard.edu/sites/default/files/APCredit.pdf).
- A minimum exam score of 3 is required for each subject that a student wants to receive transfer credit for an AP examination. However, some departments may require a score of 4 or 5 to receive the transfer credit for an AP examination.
Credit by International Baccalaureate (IB) Examination:
Howard University will evaluate and award course credits for an IB examination score, based on the following criteria.
- Submission of an IB certificate directly to the Office of Admissions
- Score of 4 or better on IB exam will result in awarding credits for the first level of the course
- Score of 5, 6, or 7 –award first and second levels of the course (e.g. Biology Higher Level score of 5, 6, or 7 and receive credit for BIOL 101 and 102
Credit by Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination:
Howard University will award transfer credits as follows for scores ranging from 1-3
- Unit 1 = 1 course in specified curriculum/discipline sequence.
- Unit 2 = 2 courses specified curriculum/discipline sequence.