Continuing Students

Advising and Registration

Continuing students must register via Bison Web

Alternate PINS are required to access Bison Web for registration.  New students, students on academic probation and students with registration holds will not be issued Alternate PINS and will not be permitted to register until they either meet with their adviser and/or resolve their holds.  

The academic calendar provides the registration period dates each semester.  During this period, students identify courses in which they intend to enroll and enter those selections in Bison Web.  Specific instructions on how to use Bison Web are provided here.

In preparation for registration, students should consult the following resources:

  • Degree Works: A web-based degree audit tool that identifies students’ progress toward fulfilling degree requirements
  • Program Schemes/Degree Maps: A curriculum guide that lists all degree requirements including recommended semester-by-semester schedules.   Program Schemes and Degree Maps are available in departments and in advising offices.
  • Undergraduate Catalog: The web-based undergraduate catalog provides general information on academic policies, academic programs, degree requirements, and course descriptions

Students are encouraged to meet with their adviser at least two times per semester:

  • At the beginning of the semester to ensure that their courses are aligned with their degree requirements

  • Prior to the registration period to review their course selections for their next semester of enrollment.


Academic Success Tips

Regularly check your HU email account.

Official University notices regarding pertinent information (registration, financial aid, advising, etc.) are regularly sent to your HU email address. You are responsible for checking your email, and when necessary, taking the necessary action.

Meet with your ACE Advisor & discuss your academic plans.  

Your academic advisor is your matriculation partner. Be sure to schedule a meeting to discuss your academic plans, explore opportunities, and report issues (missing grades, course substitution, transfer credit questions, dropping a course, etc.). Your advisor will help you to make informed decisions about your academic journey. 

Learn more about student support services at Howard University.

Your school or college, the Office of Undergraduate Studies, The Writing Center, Special Student Services, and the Counseling Center are a few of the many offices that offer services and programs that will facilitate your academic success. Visit those offices that offer services and programs that will facilitate your academic success. Visit those offices to find out what services meet your needs. Let someone know what you need. If you don't ask, you will not get the assistance you need.

Check BisonWeb regularly to determine if action is necessary.

If you need assistance, contact your academic or faculty advisor. A hold on your record blocks registration to access and negates your registration priority. The hold will not magically disappear if you don't take action. Do not ignore holds! An unresolved hold will jeopardize your academic future.

Meet new friends and get excited about each of your Fall (and Spring) semesters!

At Howard University, we are a family. We have students from every state and over 26 countries. It is imperative that you make a friend that will support your academic and personal success on campus. Everyone is here to succeed and leave a legacy. What will your legacy be? Who will you work with to ensure you leave a better Howard for those coming after you?

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a pressing question about the next steps you should take? Please refer to the list below to help direct you. If you do not find what you are looking for, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Studies at (202) 806-4029.